Friday, January 18, 2008

Unsure of what to do...

I kind of don´t know what to put down in this blog because its kind of a weird situation that caught me completely off guard. I live in the town of La Mesa and work with a cooperative group whose main branch is in La Mesa but none of its members live here and live in 3 other communities. Well this week I went to visit the president of the cooperative who lives in one of these other communties. These 3 other communnities that I work in are by far the poorest communnities I have ever seen in my life, they are subsistence farmers who have no other work besides tending their farms to feed their families. Their is no clean water and no electricty. So this week I went to his town to go talk to him and upon arriving in the community I find out that they had a malaria outbreak and at least 5 people have been identified with malaria (and there are only about 80 people that live in the whole community). So it was kind of shock because they were all dealing with problem and well I didn´t know what to say or do. I mean what do you say people who are the poorest of the poor to begin with and then they find out they have malaria. Luckily I didn´t get it because I stayed in their town during the time period that the other people got malaria. But its just a wake up call that these crazy things are out there and that they are happening to people I know.

No comments: